12 November 2007

Ever-Present Jewish Heritage

So, I'm walking downtown yesterday, on an adventure but without a suitable (read: any available) companion (N.B. this adventure became a perilous quest for Ecco brand shoelaces which was sadly left unfinished). A woman stops me and asks if I could spare some change. So I reach into my pocket, and as I'm handing it to her, she asks me, "Are you Jewish?"
Without seeing the need to get into any details (cf D. A. Neill's "You have the most complicated relationship to Judaism of anyone I know," in his untitled 2007 phone conversation), I reply, "Y-Yes, I'm Jewish."
She grins widely and says "You LOOK Jewish! There are a lot of pretty people in Jerusalem!" and walks away before I can mutter "Thank you?"

So, this is just a shout out to my many friends and relatives in Jerusalem: you're all pretty people. I know it, for this lady told me so.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. That's awesome. A Chabad house guy stopped Doran and me on the street on Rosh Hashana and started speaking in Hebrew to D and invited us in to blow the shofar and light the Shabbat candles. Didn't ask me if I was Jewish or if I knew how to read Hebrew. Can't imagine why. It WAS Chabad house, so it could have been either the blond hair or the gender.

In any case, You go, you pretty person you!

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 11:52:00 AM  
Blogger Embly said...

I enjoy the irony in this on so many levels...!My grandmother thinks that you're very pretty as well, just incase you needed that in your life

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 2:21:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

heh--I appreciate the sentiment, Embly, but there are a few reasons why that wasn't really taken as anything considerable from this lady.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 3:07:00 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

I'm Jewish but go to an Episcopalian school do you think this will infringe on my Jewishness ergo my prettiness?

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 3:12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do not worry!

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 3:39:00 PM  
Blogger Mia said...

Wow. That's amazing. So can I call you pretty boy now?

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 4:58:00 PM  
Blogger Alex said...

Mia, you don't need to ask permission for that kind of thing. "It's easer to ask forgiveness..."

It's also funny, cause i never pegged ryan as a bishonen (lit. pretty boy in japanese; used in all sorts of "amazing" manga).

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 7:44:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mia, I'd be really amused if you referred to me as your 'bishi'.

Alex, yeah, I wouldn't peg myself as that, either. Particularly since I was wearing a houndstooth coat and needed a beard-trimming at the time.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 9:43:00 PM  
Blogger Hilary said...

Ryan! You are crazy.

Friday, November 16, 2007 5:05:00 PM  
Blogger yames said...

Ryan. This has nothing to do with your Jewishness (or mabey it does?). Anyway, I think I have the peferfact, evil/good villian name for you. Ready?.?.?

OK. How about? "The Lexicon of Doom!"

Catch phrase. "Fear my wording!"

It has the persona of: "Dr. Divine" by day. And, malignant/benevolent or manevelbolent, word monger of doom, by night.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 4:51:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so totally using that in public, now.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 11:58:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home