Miscommunication
So, the following conversation occurred today amongst five of us who had gathered to talk over coffee, after YDS's chapel service (I knew dude 1 and girl 1 but not dude 2 or girl 2, prior to this meeting.)
Dude 2: Does anyone have a hammer?
Me and Dude 1, almost simultaneously: I have one.
Girl 1: I have two.
Girl 2: Well, I have three.
Me: It's like we're a Fibonacci sequence of hammers.
Girl 1: What?
Me: Cause, you know, it's 1, 1, 2, 3.
Girl 2: ::blink skeptically::
(all exchange brief 'wha?' type comments, until confusion is revealed:)
Girl 1: I thought you said FiboNAZI.
Dude 1 and Girl 2: Yeah, right, I thought so, etc.
Me: Oh... That could be pretty funny, actually... Fibonazi. I should find a way to make that a joke.
Girl 1:Be careful...
Girl 2: ::looks skeptical::
Me: ::looks at Dude 1 somewhat confused::
(more confusion...)
So, as it turned out, the above was how I heard the conversation. The way that everyone BUT ME heard the conversation was if you replace every instance of Fibonacci or FiboNAZI with 'FEMinazi'. Dude 2 wasn't involved enough, and Dude 1 didn't seem to care too much, but Girls 1 and 2 did not seem happy. I'm fairly certain everything was cleared up in the end, however.
Dude 2: Does anyone have a hammer?
Me and Dude 1, almost simultaneously: I have one.
Girl 1: I have two.
Girl 2: Well, I have three.
Me: It's like we're a Fibonacci sequence of hammers.
Girl 1: What?
Me: Cause, you know, it's 1, 1, 2, 3.
Girl 2: ::blink skeptically::
(all exchange brief 'wha?' type comments, until confusion is revealed:)
Girl 1: I thought you said FiboNAZI.
Dude 1 and Girl 2: Yeah, right, I thought so, etc.
Me: Oh... That could be pretty funny, actually... Fibonazi. I should find a way to make that a joke.
Girl 1:Be careful...
Girl 2: ::looks skeptical::
Me: ::looks at Dude 1 somewhat confused::
(more confusion...)
So, as it turned out, the above was how I heard the conversation. The way that everyone BUT ME heard the conversation was if you replace every instance of Fibonacci or FiboNAZI with 'FEMinazi'. Dude 2 wasn't involved enough, and Dude 1 didn't seem to care too much, but Girls 1 and 2 did not seem happy. I'm fairly certain everything was cleared up in the end, however.

9 Comments:
Sounds like material for Overheard at YDS...
I would say that anyone who did not pick up on 1 1 2 3 is LaMz0r; two, Fibonazi is funny; three, "Feminazi sequence of hammers" makes no sense; and four, maybe enunciation? I think Istria made you talk faster, cause when you visited I had a harder time than usual....
LMB--This seems far too long for OaYDS, I think...
Duff--The enunciation was there, particularly after the first mishearing, and I've been working on it. The problem is that I have a low voice which is hard to hear over things. I've not found a comfortable way to raise the pitch of my voice in such a way that sounds in any sense natural. I could always talk in falsetto, for example.
There's nothing too long for OYDS.
I think you should always talk in falsetto. That would be awesome.
Then it must be those people wanted to miss hear you. In which case you should call them on it, right there, to their face. And then, you should sucker punch the guy next to you, and rip off your shirt screaming in rage. Falsetto rage.
or you could to the mj thing and grab your crotch to hit the high notes
Or you could learn sign language
I did sign something (one of the 5 or so words I know) at someone the other day, but they didn't understand me. Though I have no idea how to say Fibonacci in ASL...
do it in binary: 1 1 10 11 101 1000 1101 10101 101010
Post a Comment
<< Home